Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Agony of Technology

There are days when technology nearly kills me. Today was one of those days. I was up very late last night, slogging my through a most difficult chapter. I finally finished at around 2am, happy with the four thousand words I needed to get my characters where they were going. I got up to do some more work on it this morning.


And the file wouldn't open.



Word informed me in all its smug, Microsofty goodness, that the file was corrupt. I tried all the recommended recovery efforts and nothing worked. It appeared that my entire 20,000+ word work in progress was gone, just beyond my reach into the Land of Lost 0's and 1's.



I won't kid you. I sat down and cried.



I am not the most tech savvy person in the world. Keyboard, mouse and monitor are about the extent of my repertoire. Most anything beyond that I turn over to my hubby so he can put those two engineering degrees he has to work. But, I thought I had one more trick up my sleeve, so I thought I'd try it before I gave up completely.



It worked.



There was my entire document in all its beauty. Even the formatting was still intact. I was and still am so overjoyed I decided to blog about it.



And, now, I gonna go burn the damn thing to disc.

No comments: